Pursuant to the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act, NGBs have agreed to comply with all conditions of membership as set forth by the USOPC's bylaws. Since 2018, the USOPC conducts reviews and produces compliance checklist reports for all NGBs on an annual basis, and audits reports every three years. Starting in 2021, NGBs will be audited every quad against the new NGB Audit Standards. These standards outline all memberships requirements in one place and will replace the checklists to allow a more streamlined process of review.
The USOPC collaborated with leaders from the NGB Council, Athletes’ Advisory Council and U.S. Olympians & Paralympians Association to architect the NGB Compliance Standards in an effort to strengthen good governance and more clearly define common operational language, measurements, and goals in accordance with USOPC Bylaws and the Ted Steven’s Amateur Sports Act. The standards focus on five key areas, including:
- Athlete protection and rights – clarity to ensure fulfillment of policies and standards set by the U.S. Center for SafeSport and U.S. Anti-Doping Agency
- Governance and compliance – elevating athletes’ voices and representation with emphasis on board composition and conflicts of interest
- Financial standards and reporting – enhanced financial stability, board approval, and oversight
- Sport performance – successful implementation and adoption of team selection procedures and Paralympic classification standards
- Operational performance – additional measures to promote managerial capability, grievance procedures, whistleblower and anti-retaliation policies, gender equity and equal opportunity, strategic planning, and transparency around existing diversity and inclusion scorecard reporting requirements
Please click the sections below to view an NGB’s report: